Claims and civil remedies

Claims and civil remedies

How to claim damages
You are claiming having suffered damages following an incident for which you wish to claim from the Municipality? You must advise the Municipality’s Director General in writing of your intention to file a suit, indicating details of the claim, the date and place of the event as well as your contact information. Without this complete written request, the Municipality is not legally responsible for damages for this accident.

In the case of a claim for material damages to the movable or immovable property, a similar notice has to be given to the Director General of the Municipality within fifteen days of the accident. Without this written request, the Municipality is not obligated to pay for damages for this accident.

Where to address your claim?

Municipality of Morin-Heights
c/o Director General
567 Village Road
Morin-Heights (Quebec) J0R 1H0
Telephone: 450 226-3232
Fax: 450 226-8786

Processing the claim
Upon reception of your claim, the administration will investigate and contact the applicant. If you have an insurance contract protecting your assets, you must also fill out a claim with your insurance company.

Damages as regards to Public Works (Art 725 CMQ)

The Municipality is not responsible for:

  • damages caused by the presence of an object on the road, whether the object comes from a motor vehicle or not, or has been projected from one.
  • damages caused by the state of the road, to tires or shocks system of a motor vehicle.
  • damages caused by any error made by a contractor hired by the Municipality, during the execution of any work done on the road.
  • damages resulting in an accident where a victim was on the sidewalk, road or street because of snow or ice, unless the applicant establishes the accident was caused by negligence or fault from the said corporation, the tribunal having to take weather conditions into consideration.
  • damages caused by the overpressure from the drinking water distribution netwoks (Art 21 LCM).
  • damages caused to a immovable or its content if the owner omit or neglects to install a device to reduce malfunction risks of the drinking water distribution system.

Warning: Please refer to the legal text regarding Loi sur les Compétences Municipales (L.R.Q.,c. C-47.1) et du Code Municipal du Québec (L.R.Q.,c. C-27.1)


The Town Hall is opened from
Monday to Thursday
8:30 to 12:00 and from
12:45 to 16:30, and Friday
from 8:30 to 12:00

567, chemin du Village
Morin-Heights (Québec)
J0R 1H0

Telephone : 450 226-3232
Fax : 450 226-8786